Monday, August 4, 2014

Role Model Monday: Maisha of Ahsiam Works

Before the weekend kicked off, I re-posted some old writings having to do with being a role model for others. I would like to present to you 


In this series I want to give you examples of people I look up to for many different reasons, but  if you have any suggestions, please leave your role model's name in the comments and tell me why you look up to them.

I would like to start this series off with my sister, Maisha.

We are 13 years apart and only since I joined the Marine Corps have we actually begun a relationship or really being sisters. Though we have the same family, we grew up very, very differently. The way she carries herself with confidence and has a presence that doesn't rudely demand, but more commands respect is one of the reasons I look up to her. She has started her own business, creative as all hell and definitely one of the smartest people I know.

She has kindly agreed to answering a few questions. If there is something more you'd like to know leave it in the comments or check out her latest venture on Facebook.


What is your Home town?
Monrovia CA

Something you find unique about yourself:
I'm left handed BUT, I hold my pen & paper like right handed people. Meaning: My paper, pen and hand aren't tweaked at weird angles when I write. Lol I think I'm the only left handed person I've ever seen write the way I do. 

What do you do?
I'm a small business owner of Ahsiam Works LLC. 
I'm a freelance multimedia artist

  • Graphic design
  • T-shirt design
  • Tattoo design 
  • Acrylic painting
  • 3-D multimedia pieces
  • anything art I will create it

Who or what inspires you?
Everyday life
personal experiences
music
fashion
other artist's work
My imagination
My fiancé motivated me out of a very long 10 year funk.

What gives you the drive to do what you do?
Plain & simply put: Not wanting to be BROKE! Hahaha #TRUTH 

Do you have a set of core values? What are they? 
CORE VALUES:
honesty, loyalty, integrity, dedication

Do you have a life motto or mantra you live by?
4 main mantras: 
1. Speak the truth even if your voice shakes 
2. Tough times don't last but tough people do, screw your past, don't let it screw you.
3. I'm at this stage in my life where if it doesn't 
            a. Make me happy
            b. Make me better
            c. Make me money...      I don't have time for it! 

4. I refuse to be anything but successful! 

How have/do you overcome obstacles that pop-up?
First I go absolutely insane inside my head! Then I take a few breaths try to relax. Then I make a plan of action or two or three. Then I execute the plans until one of them works out. 

What has been a life-changing moment for you?
A life changing moment would've been moving two thousand miles away from home at 24.

Who is one (or more) of your role models and why?
Honestly anyone I've known or know who is a "go getter" are my role models. I always admired people who were successful in life through their own hard work! 

If you could spread a message to the world, what would it be?
"Get over yourself, be cool, be kind, don't be an asshole!" .... But then again what's the point!? We are doomed... This ship is almost SUNK! 

From left to write: Maisha, SheBear
(aka our mom)
and Beans before cornfed - circa 2009












***


Every person in this series has shown me in one form or another that we each need to take it upon ourselves to be the person we want to be. No one else will become you for you.

Do you have a role model you'd like to share? Leave the person and the reason in the comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment